Sunday, March 1, 2009

Birthday


So I have this goofy, hillarious, awesome little girl named Maddie. Maybe you've met her? She's the one that's always hiding her face in my leg whenever you're around. She just turned two! For weeks she's been singing "happy birthday to you" and having long conversations with me about her birthday party, consisting of lists of everthing she knew would be apart of the event: "Cake, and 'bloons, and grandmas, and presents..."

Then she would stop and repeat "presents?" over and over until I confirmed that, yes, Maddie, there will be presents. It was funny, I tell you, but do you think she would sing one line of "Happy Birthday to Maddie" or even look at her birthday cake when we finally sang to her for real? Nope.
In fact, she was perfectly healthy until about 3:00 on her birthday, when we started hanging streamers, at which point, and I am totally serious, she developed a fever and stopped eating any and all food or drink. She didn't take one bite of her cake, although she did consent to open her presents... Ahem. Before she went to bed, she threw up to solidify her sickness alibi.
The next morning at 6:00 freakin am she woke up chipper, with no sign of fever or illness, and ate four pieces of toast and, yes, some cake. Gotta love that stinker.

We did have lots of fun with all of Maddie's grandmas, even without her consent, and I made my first ever cake. I know that almost everyone I know can make a cuter cake, but I am particularly proud of the frosting. I made it myself and it tasted oh so yummy. MMMM... frosting.

5 comments:

Hubba's Thoughts said...

I hate it when kids get sick at the worse time!! I'm sorry she didn't feel well.. Your cake looks great!! I've made a couple cakes in my day and I think they're hard.. Good job on the cake Mom!! Happy Birthday Madi!

Unknown said...

Well, that figures. The parties are usually just for the mommies, anyway. The cake looks great!

Mer Swift said...

I LOVE the whale! Darling!

Cami said...

Very cute cake!!! So creative. So sorry to hear she got sick on her birthday of all days. Poor thing. At least she got to enjoy it a little bit and then have the cake the next day. :) Happy Birthday big 2 year old!

Amy Jensen said...

Happy Birthday Maddie! She is so dang cute. Too bad she was sick. Great job on the cake I have yet to cover that ground.