Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sleepovers Beware

Last night I received quite a shock when I heard that the parents of the 5 Browns, Keith and Lisa Brown were in the hospital. It appears that they tried to commit suicide by driving their car off a cliff on the night of Valentine's Day. Apparently, earlier this month, Keith Brown was accused of two counts of FELONY child abuse dated from 1990 and 1997.

Let me see, 1990... I was 10 years old...That would be the very same year that Keith Brown was my PRIMARY TEACHER in Houston! That would be the same exact year that I used to SLEEP OVER at his house!

The whole idea of this is giving me the creeps big time. I'm doing a full body convulsion right this minute. Now, bear with me while I take a trip down memory lane... Keith Brown. He was the best primary teacher I ever had. He took a group of disrespectful, unruly 10 year olds hiding saucily behind chair forts at the beginning of class to the most well-mannered children all eagerly awaiting a turn to say the prayer. I can still remember the inspiring speech he gave us about the opportunity to pray. I cannot even count the number of times I have shared this touching moment to illustrate one point or another. Now it seems that there were other methods in play that I was unaware of...

Then our most beloved teacher was called into the BISHOPRIC, and we got a new teacher. But there were still the sleepovers with his daughters to look forward to... Oh. My. Gosh. Good thing I had my trusty guardian angels with me.

This just further emphasizes the point that you just never know about people, so it's better to let your kids sleep at home. That's right, no sleepovers in my family. I don't care how godly, there is no man alive that is going to have my kids sleeping at his house.

What a shame. I feel like another hero has been shot down, and I don't know how many men are left standing to take his place. I am really bummed about this.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I fully agree about no sleepovers. Which is sad, because growing up I had them ALL the time. -Which also means that I am aware of the trouble that causes too.
Sorry that who knew him on a personal level. You DID have guardian angels watching over you!

The Baker said...

It does leave one feeling like wanting to run and worship the porcelain throne doesn't it??!! I feel really sad though, that the same angels that saved you, weren't able to save his poor daughters. Also, why did this come up now? (for him I mean, why this year?)

Tiffany said...

Even if the parents weren't a problem, sleepovers never really led to anything good or uplifting, did they?

Also, to support your stance, here's a little discouraging of sleepovers from the last general conference: http://lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/courageous-parenting?lang=eng

Sierra said...

Yes, thank you for the link to that talk. I heard it as well, and said AMEN! It must have been an afternoon session though, because no one seems to have heard it but me...

Mer Swift said...

Scary!

Tamra said...

I know I'm late to this conversation, but I think the reason it's coming up now is because he was getting ready to start teaching children again (music I think,) and his daughters together decided they couldn't let that happen. I think they wouldn't have ever said anything otherwise. Sierra, I didn't know you knew the family. Sorry!!