Sunday, July 28, 2013

Annie's Gangham Style Dad

Some kids have imaginary friends who like tea parties in princess gowns.  Annie likes tea parties and dressing up like a princess, but her imaginary friend doesn't:  his name is Gangham Style Dad, and he is a pudgy Korean rock star.  He wears sunglasses and dances like he's riding a horse...

The thing about Gangham Style Dad is that he is sooooo much cooler than her real parents.  Whenever we tell her "No, you can't have candy for dinner" or "Sorry, sweety, but you don't need a new toy today," she pouts and says, "My Gangham Style Dad would let me."  I also hear that he lives in a huge house with a pool and it's made out of candy, and....and it's fun there.  Oh, and there's no bedtime either.  
Annie's imaginary friend Psy
It's really embarrassing when she starts singing, "Hey....sexy lay-day" at the top of her lungs and dancing gangham style in respectable places like the Dr's office or grocery store (read: not Wal-mart).  I just look people straight in the eye and say, "What?   Your kid doesn't have an imaginary Dad?"  

Ty was a little offended at first, since he's not imaginary and also super fun, but it's hard to have bad feelings toward Annie for long because she is so dang cute. She just smiles her little smile and says, "Daddy, I want you to put me to bed tonight,"  and it's all better.
Annie running around crazy at Target
Annie is our hipster child, I guess.  Even when she first learned to talk, she was quick to pick up on kid slang. Last year she went through a phase where no matter what you said to her, she would reply: "Not funny.  Not funny at all."  

One day I said, "What do you want for breakfast, Annie?"

She glanced casually in my direction and replied, "Cool.  That sounds fun."

Less cool is how she's really taken to the "Bloody Mary" story.  Some lame kid showed her a Google video of Bloody Mary and she's never stopped talking about it since.  It's totes presh when Moms call to tell me that their little girl came home asking who Bloody Mary is after playing with Annie for an hour.  Yes!  Mom of the Year right here.  I can't wait till I get "the call" in a few years from her school- the one after she beats up a kid for messing with her big sister.
Annie with food on her face...
She's not all macabre and Korean rock loving, though.  She's got the whole sugar and spice package:  she brings us all joy every day with her cute little personality.  One time I found her trying to pick up three pairs of my shoes at once.

"MOM!..." -labored breathing- "I need help!"

I don't know what I was thinking, but I just said, "why?"

"Because I'm trying to be like Jesus."  
After I carried them to her room for her, she sat down on her little step stool and tried on all three pairs of shoes.

She's just a funny kid.  I love her so much.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

You are funny! I love to read your posts, and what a fun child to have a Gangham style Dad who would give her candy for dinner and have no bed time. Loved it. Oh and I just got distracted from my pantry.