Sunday, March 25, 2012

One Moment in Time: For Ty's Graduation

In life we live moment to moment. A checklist. A lunch break. Where did I put my keys? And those small moments carry us from one thing to the next until before we know it, we’ve driven thousands of miles, eaten countless meals, and smiled a million smiles. Our babies grow up. The moments of Alli’s first steps have ebbed into her first pair of glasses and slowly poured out into the wide world.

Some moments stay with you, like a first day at Kindergarten. Our first school days now stand in line with Alli’s and soon Maddie’s in the grand scheme of things, and yet they’re still powerful moments whether long gone or soon to come. You may peruse an old memory and think, “Wow! I haven’t thought about that in so long.” As Time marches on many moments fade while some few, like a birth or a death remain bright, if only in our memories.

These small and grand moments collect and, without our knowing how or when, slowly begin building our character. They make us, and, when we’re lucky, we make them.

When I’m old and today is just another sand in the glass, certain things will still be as precious to me as they are today: Anne’s smile- I’ll remember it forever and be happy in that moment: Watching Alli stand in the doorway of her new classroom at Renaissance, thinking of all the promise ahead of her: Maddie’s small “I love you, mom” when she cuddles up to me: And today.

I will cherish it always as a moment in time that changed us. When I remember it, I will think of accomplishment certainly, but also of overcoming obstacles and growing up - a bright spot against a background that was so bleak. I’m so proud of you and how hard you have fought for this moment. It hardly seems possible that this carefree day has come after all the struggle
we’ve endured.

So take a minute and register this moment. Separate it from the checklist in your head. Crowd out the things you need to do tomorrow and the moments that led you on from one thing to the next all day today. Stop. Remember this: You are strong. The world is already better
because of you. Think how much more lies ahead? I love you! Congratulations on completing your Masters of Finance.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Sierra, I love this post! You describe time and moments so perfectly. Congrats to Ty! I'm so happy for your whole family. What an accomplishment for all of you!