Sunday, December 20, 2009

Annabelle is here

Annabelle Nicole was born on Monday, weighing 6 lbs 11 oz, which was exactly what I guessed she would weigh. The Doctor was impressed.

Anne is so easy going that even I can handle it when she cries. Most of the time she doesn't even cry. She just makes cute little baby noises. (I still laugh when I think about the time right after Alli was born when Ty said, "Don't worry, you're going to be a great Mom when the kids are five and older...") Now that I have a five year old, I'm less sure, but I'll take what I can get.
After two emergency C-sections, Anne's was my first scheduled C-section birth, and let me tell you, it is a whole lot scarier. I think it was the adrenaline I missed because the whole experience was terrifying, and I don't remember that from before. Unfortunately, the adrenaline hit after the surgery was over and, instead of enjoying a morphine induced coma, I was wide awake at midnight, at 3:00 am, at 5:00 am... When the nurses came in to check my vitals, I was so excited to see them that I don't think I've ever been so chatty. Weird, but then again, don't discount the morphine.

The surgery was just plain uncomfortable. The wonderful anesthesiologist, Kelly Myers, who, coincidentally works with my Dad when someone wants a laser treatment, told me just what to expect and practically held my hand through the whole thing. Even still, when he explained that my brain wouldn't register deep breathing because my chest was numb, I wasn't prepared for an hour of near suffocation. And when he said, "Okay, this is going to make your heart race for a minute," what he meant was, "I think interrogationists use this to simulate heart attacks." I would totally talk.

On the upside, Dr. Myers bent the rules a bit and let my Mom come in with Ty. I heard one of the nurses was upset about it, but oh well. I was grateful for another hand to squeeze and for another set of eyes to watch that monitor saying I was getting 100% oxygen absorption. No, you are not suffocating, that little number on the screen said to me. Just relax.


Afterwards, I spent three more days in the hospital with the best nurses I've ever had. They were so nice to me and made my stay as comfortable as possible, even with staples in my stomach.

We're home now and so happy to have baby Anne in our family. I know she is going to bring us all joy in ways we can only guess.

8 comments:

The Baker said...

so cute, she looks just like Alli! Yay for you guys!

Kylie Blackwell said...

Oh she is beautiful! CONGRATS!

Unknown said...

I'm sure your girls are just loving her to pieces. I can't wait to hold and squeeze her. Congrats!!

KayeLynne said...

I am so happy for you Sierra, baby Anne is beautiful.

Hubba's Thoughts said...

Congrats!! She is so cute! That last picture is so cute! All of your girls are so stinkin' cute!

Mer Swift said...

Love her already. Love you.

Nicole said...

Congratulations Sierra and Ty! I am so happy for you. I love your all-girl family.

After living through my own two emergency c-sections, I am curious what a planned delivery will be like. I didn't picture the suffocating part. Yikes.

Katie said...

HI Sierra, Katie here, Konnie's sister in-law. I just loved this post about your baby. She is beautiful, just like your other beauties. Anyway, when I had Braden I had a c-section after laboring for near 22 hours. With Carter I planned a c-section and even though I started labor on my own I went to the hospital and about and hour later the c-section happened. So for my first, i don't remember being so uncomfortable during the delivery and with carter i felt just as you described with Anne (not feeling like I was breathing, everything) I was wondering if you would tell me what you had as far as pain relief for all your deliveries. My first was an epidural and the second a spinal block. I am wondering because when I have another baby maybe I'll know what pain relief I want. You can email me @ katiebrooke16@msn.com if you don't want to post it here. Thanks.
Congrats! Hope you all are doing well.