Saturday, August 15, 2009

Barefoot at the dentist


Last Thursday, I had a day... We were leaving for Idaho at 3:00 for a wedding, I had a doctor's appointment in the morning, and my friend from DC was coming into town at noon. Whatever, I had it covered, though. The day before we had run out of gas on the way to the temple, and I was ready to put it all behind me. I just needed to get organized and get it done.

Just as visions of super-me playing car-games with the girls all the way to Idaho were dancing through my head, I realized that my teeth were really hurting. A few minutes more, and it was like my jaw was in a vice and no amount of pain medication had any affect on it. Super-me vanished into thin air, and regular me took over with the moaning and the dying. I didn't sleep.

At 8:00 AM I was sitting by the phone to call the dentist. Luckily my neighbor is a really great dentist and he was happy to see me. I just had to make it to 11:00 AM, and everything would be okay. Oh, the pain...

Went to the baby check up. waited and waited.
...just me and my tooth.
complained about my tooth some more to the nurse. made it out in time. On to the dentist.

There was just one small problem. As I got out of the car, my shoe broke. Damn those Old Navy flip-flops! I couldn't even pretend that I had a shoe. It wouldn't stay on no matter what I tried, so I had to walk into the dentist's office with only one shoe.

You might wonder it one shoe was worth walking on at all and if barefeet would have more, I don't know, continuity, but by this point, everything was just a blur. My tooth and I were in our own little world.

About five minutes after I sat down in the chair with only one shoe, my neighbor decided it was my wisdom teeth causing all the trouble. Twenty minutes later, I was down, still one shoe, and two very large and apparantly wise, teeth.

Let me just say that having teeth pulled is gross. It actually doesn't hurt too much, but it feels very wrong. Maybe it's just the pack-rat in me. In any case, Dr. Curtis did a great job, and my mouth is much happier.

But I still had to walk out of the building half-barefoot, gauze loaded to the hilt, while balancing a pile of papers about when to eat and what not. Meanwhile, I had a day, and time was ticking. I went up to the second floor in my Dad's office building to drop off some work, still shoeless, rushed to the babysitter's to pick up my kids two hours late, and barely made it in the door before my friend from DC came over to say hi. Marathon one: done. Now on to Idaho.

But seriously, do you have any idea how weird it is to walk in public without two shoes? I actually brought the broken shoe with me to all those places. It was kind of like a prop, so I could pretend to be adjusting something in the elevator, or limping in the hall... I don't know. I was in a stupor, so who knows what I came up with to save face. I think Old Navy shoes should come with a buyer beware disclaimer.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so funny. I hate those days, where everything falls apart. (Shoes included!) I'm glad you survived and have a funny story to tell. :)

Mer Swift said...

Oh my goodness..."kind of like a prop." You are so funny. I'm so glad I could see you. It made my whole trip to Utah/Arizona. Love you!

Richard C. Lambert said...

Dave and Mike review 10 Cloverfield Lane. Is it as good as all of the critics think? Or is this a case of being fooled by another JJ Abrams Mystery Box? Tune in to find out! cheap dentist

Unknown said...

Good Lord, just leave your flip-flops in the car next time and go barefoot. I go barefoot all summer long. It's so awesome! People ask where my shoes are and I tell them I don't wear them unless the temperature is below freezing.

I go to grocery stores, convenience stores, fast food restaurants (except McDonalds - they enforce their "no bare feet" policy strictly), the dentist's office, dollar stores and even to the bar to do karaoke. No one gives a crap and hardly ever does someone say anything to me - and if they do they are usually like "cool!"

I haven't gone barefoot to a doctor's appointment yet, but I have one on the 29th and I think I will.