Monday, September 22, 2008

Maddie the Sock Monkey and Other Fun Tidbits



Summer is officially over, and our thoughts begin turning towards indoor mayhem to replace the wet and otherwise dirty escapades of past months. Last week we re-enacted the bear hunt that I remember from childhood. I printed some pictures of bears off the computer and hid them sereptitiously in the bathroom "cave." Then I prepared my build up speech. Flashlight in hand, I approached Alli with one simple directive: "Do you want to go on a bear hunt?"

We sat down in the playroom and sang the song, only I changed the locations to places in our house. So instead of wading through the cornfield, we "came to a table" and so on and so forth. Then we set out on our trek. After crawling under the dining room table and climbing up and over the couch, I asked Alli if she saw any bears. She took on her matter of fact tone and said, "No Mom. There aren't any bears. And there aren't going to be any bears in the cave either."

Maybe she hadn't yet heard of a little thing called Mom Magic, but she would soon learn. We ended up in the bathroom, in the dark, with our flashlight lit. When she discovered the first bear taped to the sink faucet, she nearly went into hysterics. Then we spent the next hour finding bears with our flashlight. After the third time, I made her hide them, and the game became self perpetuating.




On another long afternoon, we decided to make "crayon glitter." I rounded up all the old crayon stubbs and we chopped them and melted them in the oven. Alli got really nervous when I started chopping the pink and purple crayons, but she caught the vision once she got her hands on some of the confetti colored fun.


As a side note, both of these ideas originated from my friend Ashley, who is a great mom. I hope I can be like her when I grow up.

6 comments:

Kylie Blackwell said...

Oh your girls are so cute. And look at you super mom! So fun! I want to be a super mom like you. Sounds like you guys are having fun.

Anne Marie said...

What cute ideas! You are a fun mom. I want to be one of those someday!!!

Hey, I'm glad to see your book party hasn't closed yet. I had young women's on wed., so I didn't make it to the party, but had a few things I've been wanting to order for my kids, so I finally got it done. Yay!

mikeandash said...

The credit goes to you. You started fun things first and gave me good ideas.
I love the post about you and Ty. The duck thing is such a fun little tradition!

Unknown said...

You amaze me. You put my "spongebob self-entertainment" to shame! Your little girls are so beautiful!!

WeTheTeeples said...

You are so fun. I will have to steal your idea. I need to be a better mom. Maybe someday. :)Oh, and Happy Birthday! I hope you had a good one!

Cami said...

Way cute bog, Sierra! I didn't even know you had one til I saw it on someone else's in the ward and decided to check it out. I hope you don't mind. Fun to read up on all of your adventures.